Thursday, May 20, 2010

Searching for Leads on Women's Rights


It all started with an innocuous email.  With four days to spare, I was surfing the Egyptian blogosphere for some good leads.  I found a great blog from an American woman who is married to an Egyptian and moved to Cairo in 2008.

Hi, 

I really like your blog. I'm in Cairo for only 4 days and would like to report on a story.  Do you have any ideas or leads?  

Thanks,
Chito


Hello,
Well personally, I don't have a story.  But why don't you research an angle of American women that move to Egypt and end up in an abusive relationship and how there is no outlet for them here to press charges or to get help.  A link that the American Embassy provides to report abuse leads you to an 800 number in the US.  I am not talking about myself, but I do have a good friend who is in this situation.


Now with a story idea, I was in search for a lead.   It was past midnight in Cairo, but I was madly on the hunt.


So I posted my status on Facebook.  Within minutes, Nicole from Alexandria (the other Alexandria in Virginia) responded back:










    • Chito Peppler Nicole, I want to find out why women are being abused in Egypt and the government is turning a blind eye. 
      May 20, 2010 at 5:15pm · 






  • Nicole The Land Center for Human Rights, a Cairo-based non-governmental organization devoted to women's, children's and farmers' rights, published a report last month on violent crimes committed against women in 2009.
    May 20, 2010 at 5:25pm ·







  • Chito Peppler Nicole, You're an invaluable resource. How did you know this.
    May 20, 2010 at 5:32pm · 








  • Nicole research is my job.. and google!! I am assuming you have all the background you need. Is this for school, work, or personal? Or you can tell me but then you'd have to kill me?
    May 20, 2010 at 5:44pm ·










    Chito Peppler Your background got me started -- and I'm just getting started. This is for personal. I came to Cairo from Athens on a whim and someone in Cairo led me to this story. I know nothing about it, but now I'm not going to let it go. This story is more important than the Pyramids. Will you pls critique my video once it's made?
    May 20, 2010 at 5:48pm ·











  • Nicole While you are there you should check out the pyramids. Yes, I'll check it out.
    May 20, 2010 at 5:56pm · 







  • Chito Peppler You're awesome Nicole. I'm glad we're friends.
    May 20, 2010 at 5:58pm ·














    No comments:

    Post a Comment